Who is a Merchant?
WHO IS A MERCHANT?
Missouri Law, §150.010 RSMo, indicates that every person, corporation, co-partnership or association of persons, who deals in selling goods, wares and merchandise at any store, stand or place occupied for that purpose, is a “merchant”.
DO I NEED A RANDOLPH COUNTY MERCHANT LICENSE FOR MY BUSINESS?
YES! If you answer yes to all of the items in the list below, a Randolph County Merchant’s License is required:
- You own or operate a business; and
- The business is located in Randolph County either within or outside the city limits of any incorporated area; and
- There is a sales tax number issued to the business by the Missouri Department of Revenue; and
- Product or merchandise is sold at retail or wholesale and
- You collect and remit sales tax to the Missouri Department of Revenue
I DO NOT HAVE A PERMANENT SITE FOR MY BUSINESS BUT TRAVEL FROM PLACE-TO-PLACE SELLING GOODS. DO I NEED A MERCHANT’S LICENSE?
YES! If you reside in Randolph County but engage in or conduct a temporary or transient business of selling goods you do need a Merchant’s License so long as you meet the other requirements of the check list.
I HAVE MULTIPLE LOCATIONS. DO I NEED A LICENSE FOR EACH LOCATION OR WILL ONE LICENSE COVER ALL LOCATIONS?
YES! If you have more than one location, you will need a separate Merchant’s License to display at EACH location.
YOU DO NOT NEED A MERCHANT’S LICENSE IF…..
- You are a registered motor vehicle dealer, and your primary business is selling motor vehicles; or
- You are a physician, dentist, or veterinarian selling medicines, at either wholesale or retail, used in your practice; or
- You are a farmer who grows or processes any article of farm produce or farm products on your farm, as long as you do not have a regular stand or place of business away from your farm.
* PLEASE NOTE – If your business is located within a city or an incorporated area, you will need to check to see if they also require a city license. Please contact the city offices within the city you are doing business in, for more information.
CONTACT THE STATE OF MISSOURI
You are required by §150.010 RSMo to have a county Merchant’s License if the Missouri Department of Revenue issues your business a State Sales Tax Number AND you are collecting sales tax on goods sold in Randolph County. This is the ONLY prerequisite for obtaining the county license. You may contact the state tax office at: www.dor.mo.gov/taxation/business/ or the offices below:
MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
301 W HIGH STREET
JEFFERSON CITY, MO 65101
PHONE: (573) 751-2836
RANDOLPH COUNTY MERCHANT’S LICENSE
State of Missouri license requirements MUST be satisfied before we can issue a Randolph County Merchant’s License. If you have any questions, or need additional information, please contact our office.
MICHELLE LEE, RANDOLPH COUNTY COLLECTOR OF REVENUE
372 HIGHWAY JJ, STE 1G
HUNTSVILLE, MO 65259
To obtain a Merchant’s License, fill out the Merchant License Application and return it to the Randolph County Collector’s office for processing. You can also call us at (844) 277-6555 Ext 310, and we’ll be happy to answer your questions and send you an application. Or, if you prefer, come by our office. The Collector’s office is located at the Randolph County Courthouse in Huntsville, Missouri.
After you complete the application, you have options on how you’d like to pay: You can either attach a business or personal check for $25.00 and return it to the collector’s office along with the application; Choose to receive a statement for the fee by mail, remitting payment at that time; or receiving information to pay online.
Your state sales tax number must be included on the application. If you need more information regarding state sales tax, please contact the Missouri Department of Revenue, (Their information is above).
Your validated license will be mailed to you at the business location address included on the application. A Merchant’s License is issued for the calendar year of January 1 through December 31. The annual license fee is $25.00. A business with more than one permanent location is required to obtain a separate license for each place of business. A county issued Merchant’s License is in addition to any city or other local business license you may have.
Methods of Payment
The Collector’s office accepts license and permit payments by cash, personal check, cashier’s check, bank draft, money order or credit cards. One check may be written for multiple bills of licenses or permits, personal property, and/or real estate, as long as the total of the bills are added correctly. The entire amount due for the license or permit must be paid before one can be issued. Please do not send cash through the mail. Merchant’s License fees may also be paid online.